Friday, March 5, 2010

Ohhh, a Questionnare!

Saw this questionnaire on Alexia’s Books and Such and couldn’t resist!

1. Book next to your bed right now: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. It’s been “waiting in the wings” all week but because of Midterms of Death and Sinus Infection of Death, I haven’t been able to start it

2. Favorite series: Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. Started those books as a 10-year old, so in addition to just being a dadgum awesome series, there’s the nostalgia factor, too
3. Favorite book: You are Special by Max Lucado and Skellig by David Almond

4. The one book you would have with you if stranded on a desert island: This may sound ultra-cheesy, but I have to go with the Bible. That seems like a good thing to have in a situation like that…

5. Book/series you would take with you on a long flight: Oh, the Percy Jackson series!

6. Worst book you were made to read in school: Ohh gosh, it would be a tie between Wuthering Heights and The Great Gatsby. It doesn’t matter to me if a book is “classic” or not – if I don’t like the characters, I won’t be engaged in the plot and therefore will not likely care what goes on in the story

7. Book that everyone should be made to read in school: To Kill a Mockingbird, and from what I understand, a lot of people are made to read this! Ohh, and The Divine Comedy by Dante.

8. Book that everyone should read, period: You are Special by Max Lucado. Seriously, everybody! This book is like vitamins for your self-esteem!
9. Favorite character: Percy Jackson. That kid is one awesome little demigod. And in the entirely of a 5-book series, never once is he “boring”. Way to go, Rick Riordan!

10. Best villain: Hmm, of all time? I’ll have to be Miss Nerdy Nerdenstein and say Lucifer from Paradise Lost. Otherwise, Sauron from Lord of the Rings

11. Favorite concept series: T.A. Barron’s Great Tree of Avalon, in which the whole world is made up of one gigantic tree and all its parts: roots, bark, branches, leaves, etc. Once you wrap your mind around that, it’s pretty awesome!

12. Favorite invented world: I’ll say the Redwall world by Brian Jacques because it’s high fantasy with an all-animal cast! Seriously, there’s nothing cooler than sword-wielding MICE!
13. Most beautifully written book: JRR Tolkien has an amazing way with prose, and so does Lloyd Alexander (Chronicles of Prydain)

14. Funniest book/series: Off the top of my head, I’ll have to say the Percy Jackson series…In fact, most of the quotes on my goodreads page are made up of funny quips from those books!

So there you go! I love questionnaires like this because they offer an insight into reading experiences. If you decide to do this questionnaire, I’d love to read your answers and get a glimpse of your reading preferences!

5 shout-outs!:

StephTheBookworm said...

I read Skellig YEARS ago and I kept trying to remember the title so I could find it again, and this just reminded me. WOO!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oh no! Wuthering Heights is amazing.
I read it recently and loved it.
But I must admit had they forced me to read it in high school I would have hated it.

Alexia561 said...

Great job Amelia! Hope you're over the Sinus Infection of Death and feeling better now!

I totally agree about some of the classics they made us read in school. If I don't care about the characters or like the story, I'm not going to want to finish the book. Took me a looooong time to pick up a book considered a classic after being force-fed so much dreck in HS!

Did you keep going back and changing your answers the way I did?

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I love this, and I so knew you'd put Percy Jackson as your favourite character! I think Harry Potter and Percy Jackson would be the main consistent on all those answers :)

Lauren said...

This was so interesting to read, and I had to laugh at the 'Nerdy Nerdenstein' thing. I've never heard of The Great Tree of Avalon, but I'm loving that concept already.

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Joifa Designs Birght Night and Cozy kit