Saturday, May 1, 2010

SUGGESTION BOX: stand-alone YA books?!

Hey all -
I'm pulling out the suggestion box, wanting to know if anyone can recommend a YA stand-alone book?!
It seems like every book is being turned into a series, so I was wondering if any of you have read a YA stand alone book recently that you would recommend to others!

Right now I've got
Brightly Woven - Alexandra Bracken
The Queen's Dollmaker - Christine Trent
Ever - Gail Carson Levine
Heart's Blood - Juliet Marillier (not YA, but still fantasy)
Forgive My Fins - Tera Lynn Childs (when it comes out!)
Anxious Hearts - Tucker Shaw
Impossible - Nancy Werlin

This could maybe be a good way to get the word out on certain books by genre, like a bloggy Wanted Pages or something

:)

17 shout-outs!:

Christa said...

Candor by Pam Bachorz
Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

I think those are both stand alone. I read Candor & while the ending could allow another book, it also doesn't hint at one. I haven't read Birthmarked yet, but I understand that it's a stand alone novel... at least I haven't heard of a follow up.
: )

Christina T said...

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (I actually read this in 2009 but I really liked it), The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott, A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker, Boys, Bears, and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots by Abby McDonald, The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley (2009), nearly anything by Sarah Dessen, Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler (2009), and The Season by Sarah Maclean (2009).

Unfortunately none of these are fantasy but it seems like most fantasy books are part of a series or a trilogy. There is Beastly by Alex Flinn. It's a modern day retelling of Beauty and the Beast from the Beast's perspective. Hope that helps!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Before I Fall, Sarah Dessen Books, John Green books, Melina Marchetta books, Courtney summers books, ballads of suburbia :)

Christina T said...

Oh and I just remembered Zoe Marriott has two stand alone YA fantasy books that I really enjoyed. The newer one, Daughter of Flames was published in 2009 and I think The Swan Kingdom was published in 2008.

Adriana said...

Birthmarked is going to be a trilogy I think, Christa. It's a really great book though.

Some books I liked were:
Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Willow by Julie Hoban
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver <- loved

Christy B said...

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly.

I don't really read YA, but I love anything by Donnelly and this was a great one.

StephTheBookworm said...

For Keeps by Natasha Friend. I just read and reviewed it. I thought it was really good!

Angiegirl said...

Recently I read and enjoyed THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson, THIS GORGEOUS GAME by Donna Freitas, and GIRL IN THE ARENA by Lise Haines.

Some older favorite YA standalones are THE OUTLAWS OF SHERWOOD by Robin McKinley, HOW I LIVE NOW by Meg Rosoff, and A CURSE DARK AS GOLD by Elizabeth C. Bunce.

bookaholic said...

Right now I can only remember-any book by Tina Ferraro,Courtney Summers,Sarah Dessen,Heather Davis. And I think Princess For Hire,Cinderella Society,As You Wish,Coffeehouse Angel,Finally,Revenge on Lauren Wood are also stand-alone YAs.

A Story Untold said...

I would definitely recommend A Certain Slant Of Light by Laura Whitcomb and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen.
You're so right, Amelia.I'm looking at my bookcase right now and all my books are part of a series!Crazy!

Anonymous said...

It seems like books by Sarah Dessen, Elizabeth Scott, Niel Gaim, and Meg Cabbot (some, not all) come up a lot as stand alone. Check out the major award winners too - those tend to be stand alone's (though not always).

Anisa said...

The stand alone that I recently read and liked was The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks but thats already pretty popular.

Mandy said...

Im not 100% sure about any of these:
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst
Give Up THe Ghost
Unwind <33
Magic Under Glass(??)
The Lonely Hearts Club
Audrey, Wait!
Most Chick Lit types
A lot of the less popular Books/Authors are stand alone

Tales of Whimsy said...

Have you read Blood and Chocolate?

Mary Bliss said...

I enjoy reading your posts and like your list of 2010 books read so far. A few older stand-alone fantasies that are enjoyable reads:
The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope,
The Seven Towers by Patricia Wrede,
and Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

molly (a dazzling distraction) said...

I've been really thinking on this, and you're right. A lot of good (and memorable) books are part of a series. These are some good stand alones that I came up with:
Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu
Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Devoured by Amanda Marrone
The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard
Which Witch by Eva Ibbotson (middle grade and old, but a great story)
Before I Fall by Lauren Olivier and Willow by Julia Hoban were already mentioned, but I really enjoyed those too.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hmmm, that is a hard one lately. I can't think of a stand alone YA book. It has been a while since I have read one. It looks as many other followers here have some for you. Great! Thanks!

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Joifa Designs Birght Night and Cozy kit