Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Question of the Midweek! [1]


Question of the Midweek!
Hopefully each Wednesday I'll feature a random book-or-writing related question to answer!
It's a fun way to share thoughts and see what other people think about certain topics.


I was actually all set to do another question on here, but then another one came at me from out of the blue. This week's topic is Young Adult Love Stories. Ohh la la!
So the question for today is:

When you're reading either a book or series, and that book/series has a love story, do you like to have/need to have the love story element be really complicated and dramatic? And if love stories are a little on the simple side, do you count off on your rating or does it make you enjoy the story any less?
A lot of "mini" questions, actually, but basically what I'd like to know is if really really complicated love stories are *always* a win for you?

8 shout-outs!:

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

You know, complicated definitely isn't a win for me. But it also shouldn't just be like "oh we just met and I love you!" ... I should see a progression if the book is about a relationship starting, and the most exciting books probably do have some barriers to the relationship along the way. But I hate it when a book has unnecessary relationship drama and "will they, won't they" going on for the whole book.

Allie said...

I think if love stories are too complicated...well, they lose that realistic factor for me. My own love story with my husband was fairly simple, so I always like that. :)

Jillian said...

Well, all relationships are simple and complicated at the same time. I do think though in stories, especially in Fiction, it's kind of nice to have a little bit of both :) What is a story without some drama and conflict, as they say. In real life, I wish it was more simple of course! Haha.

Lale said...

I think it's about a healthy balance- I don't usually enjoy OTT off the wall romantic drama, because it often seems contrived. On the other hand, stories where the romantic side plot isn't really a romantic side plot because there's no tension don't hold my interest very much. So usually I liked to aim for the middle of those two when I'm choosing what to read, though there are some romances done beautifully in a very simple way- take the relationship between the MCs in 'Amy and Roger's Epic Detour' for example!

Alkyoni said...

I enjoy more a story with a bit of a romance, but the kind doesn't matter. Nor does it have to be the main thing of the story.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

complicated love stories add intrigue for me, but I don't necessarily need them :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jillian--a little bit of both is nice. If it's too simple, I usually find it realistic, but then again, if it's too complicated, it strikes me as too much like a cat and mouse game. It's a "win" if it keeps me intrigued while being believable and realistic.

Lynossa (Deranged Book Lovers) said...

I prefer more simple love story. I like love story as side story, or if it's main story, it's not too complicated to the point its absurd. As long as it's still believable, quite realistic, I'm ok with it.

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Joifa Designs Birght Night and Cozy kit